August 7, 2012

Hello Food People!

How is everyone surviving this hot hot summer?  At our house we have been spending lots of time looking longingly out the window dreaming of cooler weather.  Anybody remember those fantastic days in December when it was gorgeous out?  For the first time ever I think I'm actually looking forward to winter - and I never say that!

So pick up this week has got some yummiest  goodies-

     broccoli
     green cabbage
     few garlics
     fingerling and regular potatoes
     the Zinnias and the herbs have been cleaned up for easier cutting

Eggplants are starting to come in but those naughty tomatoes are still shy - keep your fingers crossed!

One of the new experiences that has come with having kids has been a change in the way I cook.  I love to cook and used to spend lots of time creating elaborate meals and trying out intricate recipes and I was always trying to find as much of our food as possible locally.  Then last year we had our first child and I had to learn to go at things a little simpler but I was still able to take the time needed to hunt down local foods and I was still able to can and preserve lots of our food as well as making lots of homemade baby food.  This year we have had our second child and we have joined the two under two club.  After figuring out how the basics of having two was going to work (you know showering, laundry etc) I started to think about the kitchen - and I was really frustrated trying to figure out how to do all that I normally do.  While cooking with fresh food is easy -the less you do the better!- finding local fresh food isn't always easy.  It takes time not only to track things down but add in travel time etc and two kids under two, well you get the idea.  And yes I do go to farmers markets but you cant always find everything you want or the best deal.  But the truth is good food is worth the extra effort!  Theres nothing better then having my 16 month old soon devour some fresh peaches.  So while I'm learning to let go of some of my expectations about what I would normally be doing right now (canning a bushel of peaches) I'm still enjoying as much local fresh seasonal food as possible!  And next year I'll get back to canning!

See you soon
The Farm Foodie

No comments: