September 26, 2012

NO TOUCHE WAS SPARED.

The gardens are on their way to a long quiet rest for the winter. Mowing and post pulling are on the agenda these days for my boys. Once fields are cleared we will disk and plant a cover crop of rye to make them ready for next spring when most will be re-planted back into a forage crop that can be baled for livestock.

With the fields being prepared for winter the u-pic is over.

Looking back this was a year fraught with challenges on all fronts. So sad to end the CSA experience on a year like this, but to me, the writing is on the wall. The growing seasons have changed drastically over the past 6 years and I cannot trust the upcoming year will be better. To better manage the challenges of the weather would take a healthy investment of hoop house structures and planting the rows of vegetable varieties under less stressful conditions. My budget won't allow for that. So...

I will focus on the retail store. Keep the bird feed and chicken feed flowing through West Chester and surrounding areas. Stock up on Revita, the organic lawn and garden fertilizers we recommend, and continue collecting and washing eggs to have for sale at the store. Broiler chickens will still be raised on pasture starting again next spring, and sold through the store, as will pasture raised lamb from the farm. Leave your name and number on the list we have going if you wish to be called when meat products become available. I have plenty of whole and pieced chicken in the freezer now upon request.

The next change on the farm is moving the retail store to the old pre-civil war barn in the yard (where the store was originally located 2 and 3 generations ago). Colder in the winter and draftier all seasons, but with more charm and farm antiques to peruse while shopping.

Thank you all for your support through this year. Your concerns are so kind, and have helped hold me and my family up through this extreme year. 

Best to all of you.

Linda


1 comment:

kmogilevski said...

This was our first CSA ever, so we are sad to see it end. I did want to say that I enjoyed the you-pick option and I hope that something similar will be available in the future. We are here to support you!

(please ignore the first comment, I used the wrong google profile)